Dressing Up Like A Boss Lady: Tips And Tricks
Many women have been breaking the glass ceiling. Even more so in the last decade. The fight for reducing the gender gap has witnessed unprecedented heights and it is only but natural that we women brace ourselves well for kicking asses at the workplace. One actionable way to do so is by dressing like the boss lady you really are.
I’m all in for “mind over matter” but let’s face it, dressing the part is an essential element of our life. You really don’t have to burn any holes in your pocket to look like a boss lady who exudes confidence and power. Just a little tweak and trick in your wardrobe will take you a long way.
- Dump the Traditional: Gone are the days of wearing typical monochromes and pinstripes to work. It is really not necessary that women dress like men to look and feel powerful, neither is it necessary that workplace outfits be boring. Women today are experimenting with fashion apparel at work. Pantsuits are the new sexy. It really doesn’t matter what position you’re holding. We’re seeing women donning them everywhere, from Hollywood to the C-club and we just can’t stop loving it!
- Stay Fit: Since we’re talking about looking the part, the outfit is not the only thing that is part of “the look”. It is as important that you feel good about your body. Studies have shown that exercising does not only help you look good but feel happier and more confident. Talk about that dopamine hit you get every time you exercise! Workout for at least 30 minutes every day. Go for a brisk walk if you don’t have the time. Gear up in your favorite fitness apparel brands and hit the streets!
- Keep the Blazer: Power dressing is incomplete if we don’t talk about that good old blazer. A lot of women consider wearing strong shoulders might be a little too much. But trust me, it can transform an otherwise casual outfit to formals effortlessly. Add a neutral colored blazer in your wardrobe to give you that instant formal touch whenever you need it. A black blazer is a must. It can go with just about anything. What’s incredible is you can even team it up with a t-shirt underneath and rock that boss lady look.
- Rock ’em Heels/Pumps: We don’t want you tripping around in your workplace but a nice pair of heels will instantly elevate your boss lady look. It doesn’t have to be those sexy stilettos that you wore to Mary’s bachelorette party. A pair of simple pumps would do the job. An added advantage if they’re in nude. They can be paired with any outfit and nudes will only accentuate your sophistication. Because when you are holding a position of power, you need to make sure your outfit is adding to your gravitas.
- Work the Colors: If you’re too confused about which colors to wear at work and how to complement different colors with your accessories, don’t worry, you don’t have to go on a fashion wholesale. Just go for neutrals. They’re the best for workplace attire. Black, gray, white, beige- you name it. You have a stunning palette to choose from. Besides, you can never go wrong with the classic black and white combo. This does not mean that wearing bright colors are forbidden. You can wear different shades of blue, a color which generates positivity. You might, however, want to stay away from loud patterns or florals which gets too distracting. A boss lady wants people to focus on her, not her clothes.
- Fashionable Over Trendy: Only dead fish go with the flow. This statement stands oh-so-true when it comes to following the latest trends in fashion. It is nowhere written in the gospel of “looking great” that you have to stay absolutely updated with the latest trends. This is sheer BS. Know what looks good on you. And the only workable way to do it is to experiment. But do keep in mind the simple guidelines you just read when you’re experimenting. You really do not have to go overboard.
- Hit the Fit: Ladies who are in a leadership role should be classy and put together. And to be so, looking neat is important. What “neat” here means is that your outfit is well-ironed and fits you perfectly. Wearing wrinkled clothes does really downsize your appearance. Same goes with wearing the wrong fit. It creates an impression of insincerity and that’s the last thing you’d want when you’re going to sport that boss lady look. A well-tailored suit goes a long way.
- Choose Quality: Investing in a good quality fabric is a brilliant idea. Not only does it last longer but it gives you a timeless sophisticated look. What could be better than a well-tailored good quality outfit? You can never go wrong with this. Just keep in mind that you want to look rich, not gaudy. You don’t need much of these. Remember the key was not to burn a hole in your pockets? This is it. It’s not the red carpet, ladies. You are allowed to repeat your outfits. Mix and match is the key!
- Take Care of Your Hair & Nails: Dishevelled hair and dirty nails are the last things a boss lady would want on her. This reflects that you’re a mess. You might think that people don’t notice such little things, but they do. We don’t realize it, but we all do. Unconsciously. So even if you’re a hot mess and really not “feeling it” on a particular day (We all feel low at times and that’s perfectly okay.), you need to look like you have your life together. You’re The Boss Lady. There are people who look up to you. You’re a force to be reckoned with.
- Comfort is the Key: This is the most important thing to consider when you’re getting ready for work. If you’re not feeling comfortable, you can’t do your job. And that’s not what you want. You have to make sure that you’re in your most comfortable self when you’re dressed for work. The combination of comfort and confidence is simply “fierce”! Remember that you wear clothes, the clothes don’t wear you.
It’s that simple! Incorporate these little changes in your life and you will feel being the version of yourself. After all, the best investment is when you invest in yourself.